Thursday, October 13, 2011

Journal 2 - Join the Flock

Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), 12-15. Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100607?pg=14&pm=2&fs=1#pg14

When reading "Join the Flock," by Hadley Ferguson & "Enhance Your Twitter Experience," by Shannon McClintock Miller from Learning and Leading with Technology. I was not expecting such a colorful and visual pleasing article. The article was about building a PLN, which stands for professional learning network. Using technology such as Twitter builds a community of people around the world. Twitter a social network allows you to follow strangers, friends, educators, that may have the same interest as you. This feature creates common interest that can help educators all over the world. This way of learning and educating allows a simple way to share a new learning tools or experiences in less than 140 words. Since Tweeting in education Ed422, it has allowed me to compile a list and collection of new ways to teach and learn, in new innovative ways. The great part is just by clicking once on a link I am immediately routed to a new source of information that is helpful in my learning experience. The "Twittersphere" meaning community, is one filled with "hashtags" and new "Twerminology" it allows there to be some organization to new contributions. I was hesitant at first to create a Twitter, I did not need to have another social media network to take over my life, but knowing that I can use this social media network to build my professional learning network, really changed my view in a positive way. I now look forward to posting new links and viewing other tweets that may show up.

Why are people hesitant in social media networks such as Twitter? 

I believe people are scared to provide personal information for the world to see. I also believe that for some it is another way to see what others are doing, and they usually have a life of their own to keep up with, and don't have time to keep up with others.

What is one great thing about using Twitter? 

What I love about Twitter is that I follow people in my PLN. That is the only thing I use Twitter for. It is a great way to learn new information and see what new educational resources are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment